Post offices are becoming a major force in retail banking around the world. They represent a significant opportunity for banks to leverage their widespread distribution and customer portfolio, not least in developing countries where there is an opportunity to provide accessible and affordable financial services to the underbanked. While there are many examples of very successful partnerships between banks and post offices, there have been many failures. Under these circumstances the demand for industry knowledge and the sharing of best practices is greater than ever before.
The International Post Bank Council (IPBC) has been developed to help senior executives in the global postal financial services industry, and their post office and bank partners, to realise the potential for providing financial services to clients. Under the chairmanship of Carl Holsters, Honorary Chairman of the Board of Bank van De Post-Banque de La Poste (Belgium), the Council allows members to share experience and network with peers in a neutral, objective and confidential environment.
IPBC focuses on all areas of global postal financial services, including:
Alliances & Partnerships
Selecting retail and other partners to grow the post bank operation
• What is the optimum business model?
• What are the best strategies for selection?
• What value can be derived from selecting more than one partner?
• What lessons can be learnt from post banks around the world?
• What are the pitfalls?
• How can the post bank brand be developed for competitive advantage?
Sales & Service
• How can post banks create thriving sales environments?
• How can staff be trained, and retained?
• What are the latest concepts in post bank branch banking?
Product Set Development
• What new products should post banks offer?
• What pricing strategies should be considered?
• What are the best distribution models?
Scale and Market Share
• What are the best strategies for emerging post banks?
• What lessons can be learnt from leading players?
• How will regulation impact on the development of post banks around the world?
• What is happening in each country?
• How will market liberalisation impact on post bank operations – and revenues?